Thursday, July 24, 2014

Creativity to a 4th grader


I had a discussion with a student of mine from last year, who also happens to be my "nephew" (cousin's son). He seemed very confused with what I was asking him and I sensed that he was trying to give me the "just right" answer. I kept talking to him and insuring him that he could answer with however he really wanted to and that my questions had nothing to do with our school. Still, he continued to think before answering and I felt he was only skimming the surface. I would have LOVED to have had this discussion with all three of my groups last year and get their feedback, yet it is summertime and I'm at the beach, so a phone call with my "nephew" will have to do for now. 




These are the questions I asked him and the responses he gave to me.
What does creative or creativity mean to you? What does it mean to be creative?
-You have different things around you and you can make different things. Being creative means using different resources than you might usually have or choose to use. 

What does that look like in your classrooms (creativity or being creative)?
-In math class we got to make goo and that was creative because we got to choose our colors and make something different.
-In science class when we made our projects about the planets, we got to be creative.

What would you change?
-Maybe have more projects and creative activities, especially around holidays or special times. LIke maybe for Halloween, we could make a statue. We could use paper and make bones and then create a skeleton. 

What is important about your classroom with technology and creativity?
-We were able to discover really neat websites when researching for our planets and they (the technology) helps us when we want to look things up and find answers to things.

What would you want to change about your classroom when it comes to technology and creativity?
-To have more computers or devices available in the classroom so that we can use them. It would be really great to be able to use them more for writing time to be able to create our essays and projects on them.

*This student has an iPad at home, a computer available and internet access. He utilizes several types of apps and will be going into 5th grade next year. I thought it was very interesting, considering what he has available to himself at home, that he didn't want to incorporate any of that into the classroom or improve the amount of usage or devices that could be available to us. This student doesn't particularly enjoy writing, so I think it is wonderful that he brought up writing and that it would be a good change to use the devices to "write" with. If we had more devices available per grade level or students, then it would allow us to create ways for students to enjoy writing within the devices that they are familiar with.*


Images from Google Search:
Creativity in Classroom
Technology in Classroom

No comments:

Post a Comment